Tuesday, December 29, 2009

LOFT LIFE: Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Well the holidays being hard took on new meaning when I seemed to be sinking by Christmas eve at Greg and Marybeth’s. Fortunately, their friend, Deb, when she heard i had cleaned out the IL home freezer’s layer of black mold, insisted I get checked out and get on an antibiotic. Good thing I listened.


By the time I went to the doc, the day after Christmas, I developed full-fledged pneumonia. Now I ask you, is this fair? I get to fly back and forth to IL, do all the heavy lifting, clean the house (well with a lot of help from my amazing neighbor, Becky and her girls), tackle MOLD growing from October to December in a fridge I turned off, but forgot to open said door of, and then, just because I forget a silly thing like a face mask...well, the doc said it is mold-induced pneumonia.


So my bod has been bedridden for days, and I have practically missed all of Jay’s Christmas break, and hopefully will at least be better by the time Mic and Andy arrive.


Of course, my nightmares race through a montage of all the friends I know who have died of pneumonia, and I try to keep a bright outlook, but it is sometimes difficult.


They say the antibiotic makes its headway within 48 hours, but mine has taken 60. And, only today have I been well enough to pour my own pita chips onto a plate and spoon on some mango salsa. I think I figured out the cookies and the chocolates earlier, but they take so much less effort, and the motivation is so much greater--even if the nutritional values or lack of could have something to do with the 60 hour benefit vs. the 48. But who’s counting?


Anyway, I am not dead, and seem to be going to survive, and though I do feel like body snatchers invaded my holiday, I am thankful for God's faithfulness, good friends, good doctors, and chocolate. (Thought I would throw that in in case someone feels prone to cheer me up.) And, though "they" may snatch the body for a time, even holiday time, they cannot rob the spirit, in spite of nightmares, slow medications, and what not (I always wanted to say what not), because He who is in us is greater than he who snatches but cannot win.

4 comments:

  1. What to hey? CHRISTmas time and now this! So your back from the body snatchers. Have you checked, are you sure you got your own body back? I just hated it when they switched mine. Some loser named Fabio got that one but the anonymity that my present one brings has its rewards too. As for the for the other stuff, "Dear lady you always have my prayers." Anyway if the snatchers return see if they take request, I might try for a tall leggy Italian woman next time, "Rich, of course."
    JD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Culturelle or Florastor if you're still taking antibiotics, luv. And yogurt, GOOD yogurt with both cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogurt will clear up lung mold? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hi Marjorie--got caught up on your blog--OY You have been busy! You know my dad got a black mold infection, ended up losing 1/4 lung (he has smoked his whole life, but it was the black mold from remodeling his bathroom that did it); glad you are moved, and in good care. My thoughts and prayers will be with you!". Toni

    ReplyDelete