Tuesday, August 23, 2011

LOFT LIFE: Jane Jetson has come to life

After the initial euphoria of using a video phone on my computer, and now Skype, the reality of what this entails has begun to set in.
Yes, I can call my grandchildren--which I still haven’t done. And, I can call clients, without the complication and expense of air travel, and yes, there is always the real advantage of free calls to Europe, Canada, and the U.S. among fellow Skypers.
But, the actual usage of Skype comes with it the realization that: they can SEE me.
Now that kind of crashes through the whole working at home in your lounging garb advantage, doesn’t it!
I mean, there is a reason why Jane Jetson donned her mask for video calls prior to her donning her full face make-up. (This isn't something I thought of. A friend pointed it out.) 


I don’t wear make-up at home. And, I usually don’t attire myself as though ready for public eye. Jane Jetson at least seemed fully clothed in all of the cartoons I remember. But that was the ‘60s, and the early ‘60s at that. (It re-aired in the ‘80s)
So I have to get used to the idea that using my video phone means: getting dressed, putting on make-up, caring about how my hair looks, and checking the mirror, if not the camera to see what the final appearance will be. And, that is when I am “making” the call. I haven’t even addressed the horror of having to “answer” a video call I wasn’t expecting. That would mean being “ready” all the time!! 
That is a LOT of trouble to talk someone for ten minutes or less. Almost as much trouble as flying to Chicago from Hartford. Okay, Okay. Maybe a slight exaggeration. But, it is almost as stressful, for me.
I see the Jane Jetson video phone mask as the next great marketing idea. I know I will regret telling you this, because the enterprising among you will rush right out and start the assembly line. I mean, it should at least be as popular as the Pet Rock. Right? And, that made that marketing genius a millionaire. And, I don’t think we need any environmental permits or special regulatory compliance forms, so a few patterns, the right materials, and we should have the next cottage industry--hopefully here in the good old U.S. of A. Any partners out there who want to share this?
I am sure I will adjust to the idea that on certain days and times, I do have to get ready to talk via Skype. Maybe I can make phone calls on the days I am ready to go shopping, which isn’t most days. I keep wondering why my daughter can go through six lipsticks a year and I am still using ones that are ten years old. (I know, I’m going to get bacterial infections!) Now I realize that she uses hers daily, and I only about two times a week. That shouldn’t add up to ten years of life for the little sticks of goo, but they really do last a long time. And that translates also to lipstick removers, cleansing cremes, toners, moisturizers, etc. lasting a long, long time.
Am I giving you T.M.I. here?
Really, combined with my intention to exercise and get healthy, this new thought of being “ready” for a video call may become a plus. No more sitting at the computer, blinds closed, succumbing to the inertia of doing only what is necessary. Because when  you’re dressed, made up and presentable, you think differently. You’re less dour. That is a good thing.
Come to think of it, Skype may just change my life. Who knows? I may end up getting dressed and putting on make up more days than just going out ones. June Cleaver comes to mind. I had an aunt like that. Aunt Hilda was dressed, with modest make up, and had on her high heels every single day. 


So, if I do this it may mean being ready for a call any time, any day, any hour. I will become like my favorite Aunt Hilda. 


I will have to think about this. It may mean my life will take on a readiness I do not presently enjoy. It may mean my mind will engage more often than it does. It may mean a longer life. It may mean things I can't even think of.
I am dying to know what you think!

11 comments:

  1. Well, well, Marjorie! Your blog explains everything: I am so relieved. When I called yesterday, I saw a very strange creature on the screen, and hung up. I didn't know it was YOU in your Jane Judson outfit! I almost dialed 911 to report that a strange character seemed to have invaded your home! Jajajajaja!

    BTW, I often work at the computer wearing only my skivvies. Last week, I heard the familiar "dee dee da dee da" Skype incoming call, jumped up, ran to the closet, pulled a Polo shirt over my head, checked the mirror to be sure I didn't have morning hair, ran back to the computer.

    By then, the caller had already hung up; thankfully Skype also lets you know who last called; I relaxed for a moment before returning the video call, explaining that I had been in the shower!

    As an alternative to donning a nice blouse, applying makeup and earrings in anticipation of a Skype video call, you can just choose to call back!

    Skype is really terrific. Last week, I saw my grand daughter in Chicago crawl for the first time! Skype video helps to bring us closer, to celebrate life!

    Love your blog. Keep up the good work - and don't forget we have a video call scheduled for today!

    Besos,
    Aaron Ashcraft
    Barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choose to call back! Well that just isn't as challenging as learning to "be ready." But, I am sure I will opt for that whenever readiness has not been my choice. Thanks for the new idea, and thanks for showing me the SKYPE world.

    Grandchildren here I come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I find I must make sure I am presentable to stop in at Hilander because of all the people I run into and sometimes I do look like something the crow dragged in after Hoo Haven, but do like that I have to get up and get dressed in the morning. However, if I was home, I'd want to be in my PJ's all day. I use Skype without the camera =) Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, and ohhhhhhhhhh so true. But I do love Skype. You can also opt to block visual, if you so wish.
    Hope you will visit my blog at:
    www.writersentiment.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen. Thanks so much. Your comment came through, but not your follower sign up. I love having all these new writer friends. Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my my post didn't go through and was diverted by a google password sign in.

    So to make my long story short:

    I desire to answer to Skype when I'm ready and if I'm not; no camera. Hearing a voice without the distraction of a face to look at, can be revealing. I love to listen between the lines!

    Also, I live in France but miss my country so;
    the French mentality is everything it is chalked up to be. Such vanity makes me want to wear my pyjamas to the grocery store here, which is a battle field so why not be as comfortable as you can....smile

    I even get my deodorant from the states and am American to the end of my hairs. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that listening between the lines. I am so audio and really relate to that. Maybe you can find my story: a pause for the comma, where you will enjoy reading about some of these audio joys, it's back in 2010 entries, I think. Thanks Chantal. So glad we met, even if it was on a battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  8. During the day business Skype calls are from my office desktop machine - no webcam! In the evening calls to family and friends are from the netbook, with webcam. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously I need training in the nuances of SKYPE. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll bet even Aunt Hilda has times when she doesn't want to answer her video phone! I don't use skype because my family is still underfoot and I know all too well what they look like! And they see me at my best and my worst daily too. Maybe someday I will have out of town grandchildren. Right now skype is not relevant for me. Amusing article though! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much Mary for your comment. So glad you laughed.

    ReplyDelete