Thursday, August 23, 2012

LOFT LIFE: I'll trade you 3 Tweets for 1 blog comment


Remember when you used to while away your free time writing a letter, playing a board game, chatting on the phone, or maybe reading a book? Ah, those were the days.

Forgive me if you are a reader here under 30 or a tech savvy senior even, and this next bit of info is obvious. But those days are gone for a lot of us. 

It’s not that we don’t have choice in how we spend our free time, or even our revenue-producing time, for that matter. We do.

But, it is the age-old dilemma of whether we will choose to be dinosaurs and luddites (The Luddites were a social movement of 19th-century English textile artisans who protested—often by destroying mechanized looms—against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution...), or whether we will step into the “new world” and learn new things.

Such a dilemma is challenging me lately, namely, “to Tweet or not to Tweet.”
   I have elected to Tweet. That has taken on far greater dimensions than I expected.

Some of you will just say, “I don’t want any part of that waste of time. Others will say, “Duh, why not! How hard can it be?” And, still others, my dear friend, will say, “I don’t want to lose the old-fashioned art of real, personal, communication.

Those may all be valid concerns, but here is my dilemma:

I do marketing, advertising. I claim to have expertise in communications. So doesn’t it “behoove” me to include every efficient, effective form of communication for what I do for my clientele?  I think it does. (Don’t worry, I still know words like behoove. lol)

So lately, I have begun to explore other people’s blogs--younger people--who know the Twitter game, and other social networking, social marketing tools.

Let me tell you, this is VERY time consuming. I can attest that in my practice tries, over the past few days, I have become better and better at this.

Twittering requires spending a lot of time checking and rechecking your Tweets and responses. That is OK, because to do my job, I have to be online most of the time, and the checking is a few seconds, or maybe a couple of minutes if a response is called for.

But, the element of giving exposure on Twitter I didn’t count on, is how reciprocal this communication needs to be.

In other words, if I ask you to read and share my Tweets, and then forward you on to my blog, for instance, I am feeling really obligated to read your stuff and comment as well. Getting my “followers” and “comments” to increase, requires a certain amount of trading with those from whom I am seeing follow me and make comments. This can become as time-consuming as I wish it to be, or maybe more. 

One rule-of-thumb I am learning from other marketers, is that over-Tweeting is a no-no. Whew. That’s a relief. Wouldn’t want to over-Tweet.

Like anything we learn to do, eventually, we get better at it, and learn to discriminate, to select the good input, and leave the fluff. But, in that learning period, there is a lot of information overload. Big time!

I remember where I was when I first looked at a PC and a monitor, and wondered whether I would ever learn to use this new medium effectively. That was in 1981. Today, I can’t imagine life without my MacBook Pro, my IPad and my Kindle, email, texting, and now Tweets. (Haven’t succumbed to a smart phone yet, but I know it is in the cards, because the culture is USING these for things we need to do, like buying things. Is this the mark of the beast some ask?)

Bottom line: I have to learn new media, new networking and marketing techniques, if I expect people to pay me for my expertise. I have to keep up, become savvy about social networking and marketing with these tools. So even though I might prefer relaxing more, leaving technology for a few hours every day, the truth is, it fascinates me to see how quickly these new modes have taken over, and it is amazing to experience their power.

For instance, I Tweeted teasers for my blog (this is my test to see how it works for my clients before I do it wrong on their stuff), and I increased my readership more than SIX times what it has been in ONE DAY. That is incredible to me.

Do you know there are Tweeters who specialize in re-Tweeting? I follow one such person, and she faithfully re-Tweets my posts. 

Amazing. 

In all sales, if you develop third party resources who will multiply your efforts by promoting your services to their networks, you are way ahead of the game.

The downside: I still wonder about negative responses where you multiply complaints. For my clients in small towns, that could become serious. I have avoided creating Facebook pages for them for just this reason. I know I can monitor and moderate these comments, but that requires daily perusal to make things current.

I am still learning. I need to get better at this. I need experts and experienced social media people to tell me what pitfalls to avoid. 

Since there is no dearth of help on these questions for the avid, consistent researcher, I am sure by next month, I will find answers to these. One of the new market niches is obviously people to help us newbies navigate it all.

Please let me know what your thoughts are and your experiences with using social media for business.

9 comments:

  1. Twitter is good for instant conversation. It's not good for deep conversation.

    Hubspot has an excellent guide to Twitter: http://www.hubspot.com/Portals/53/docs/HowToUseTwitterForBusiness.pdf

    As a business owner, you should make it as easy as possible for your customers to reach you in a manner which is most convenient for the customer. E-mail, phone, Facebook, Twitter, smoke signals...

    OK. Maybe not smoke signals. Unless you have a really good fire extinguisher.

    All of the channels add up in building trust. Why will someone spend money on you unless they trust you? So, by being highly available and interactive, you create the ability to build trust.

    You also create the opportunity to show integrity and what you stand for. So, for example, you recommend against using Facebook pages because you're afraid of negative comments. I'd rather have someone post a negative comment in a forum that I can control the message in than have them go to Yelp, Angies List, etc. and enter into a one-sided conversation. It gives me the opportunity to address the issue and resolve it appropriately, which also shows others who may be paying attention that I care and that I have high standards.

    All of this participation does create the innate urge for reciprocity, though, doesn't it? It's normal. Ryan Hanley has a great post on how to utilize reciprocity in social media (http://www.ryanhanley.com/2012/07/18/just-be-awesome-social-media/). The drive for reciprocity is so strong that it causes us to donate money to patently fake gods - in this case, one named "Theoi" and one named "Weather" (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-4932.2012.00802.x/full).

    So, yes, tweet. Retweet. Take part in conversations. Build those bonds. It's the same thing you do in personal interactions, except the medium has changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, intelligent and wise as usual. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I have not looked into Twitter. I spend too much time on the computer for work and social and then I dove lightly into Pinterest. I do have a smart phone however, and find it very wonderful, albeit expensive. Yes, it is very important to keep up with modern technology. When I started at Makerite 19 years ago (!), we had very basic computer level work; now our livelihood depends on it. We cannot ship to our biggest customer without using their supplier page for every function. Yep, it's not going away and we have to keep on learning.

    Reading is still one of my greatest pleasures and instead of loading my bookshelves full of books, I now load up my Kindle! Yikes~~~~ From Toni M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Toni dear, you really have to look at Mary Walters' books: The Whole Clove Diet (hilarious and sad and hopeful), and The Woman Upstairs (poignant). TWCD IS ONLY $2.99 and really a good read.

    I also enjoyed A Cruel Harvest, Paul Reid
    cheers
    and thanks for your comments and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Mary walters on my kindle, will read soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spend several hours each day trading stocks, bonds and options on the internet. There is an incredible amount of instantaneous information available on stock twits, and Twitter where people post charts, exchange ideas. I twit, tweet, retwit, retweet with strangers living half a world away.

    Just twenty five years ago, my only market information sources were print editions of Forbes Magazine, the Wall Street Journal and daily call from George, my stockbroker, a hearty soul who charged very high commissions/fees for his service. I no longer read print media: the Wall Street Journal and Forbes are published on line; George no longer has a job because today everyone trades electronically at a fraction of the cost.

    Managing a stock portfolio over the internet can become pretty boring. Tweeting is not as much fun as exchanging phone conversations with George. Though pretty impersonal, the internet is fast and easy, provides a forum for the world wide exchange of ideas.

    Life has become more impersonal on many levels: I often laugh when I see two or three people sitting over lunch rudely reading/writing messages on their cell phones rather than chatting together!

    Best of luck with your new, expanded presence on the internet. I hope you find a billion new customers LOL.

    Aaron Ashcraft
    Barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron

    What a sweetheart you are in your wishes for me and mine. I also wish for you all the blessings God has for you. Do you know there is a restaurant now in CA that PAYS people (5% discount) to check their cell phone, pagers, beepers, etc. at the counter. And, people seem to gladly do it. They are not aiming at curbing rude behavior, they say, as much as encouraging people to get back to engaging in conversation and enjoying a meal together. Amazing we now have to trade currency for conversation ops.Oh well. Whatever works, right?

    Thanks for your loyal readership and thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I choose to remain a technodummy, a grandma who is perfectly content with a simple cell phone, a cheap computer, and no desire to upgrade anything. Tweeting holds no interest for me; I refuse to bore my friends with minute-by-minute updates on my daily life, and I often "forget" to take my cell phone with me in order to get a few blessed moments of quiet time. I sometimes think that folks today feel a chronic anxiety about not being constantly connected, a fear of being even momentarily away from the ceaseless and often pointless chatter of dozens of other people, and are unable to be alone - completely alone - with their thoughts and inner voices. It saddens me that a voiceless, soulless text is to some more preferable than a face-to-face conversation; they seem to wear those flat, black and white words like a protective cloak which shields them from revealing emotion or requiring them to use correct grammar and punctuation. Somehow, LOL just doesn't hold a candle to a good, rollicking belly laugh! Yes, I like it here in the Cretacious era of communication. It is quiet,inexpensive, and as comfortable as an old shirt. Y'all go ahead without me.
    PUBLISHED FOR KSG

    ReplyDelete