Tuesday, January 31, 2012

LOFT LIFE: The eyes are the windows of the soul - Part two


Note: Please read Part one first. This is Part two of my cataract surgery experience:

My anesthesiologist, Susan said, “Do you journal?”
“I’m a writer,” I replied.
“Yes,” said she, “but do you journal? If you do, journal about this experience.”
So here it is:
“I don’t want drugs,” I told Susan. She chatted about that with me, and told me I didn’t have to have the valium. There was just a drug that put me out for a few seconds, long enough for the doc to inject my cheek and numb my eye so that he could perform the surgery. That was fine. I was amazed. Most of my anxiety was about the drugs.
“I don’t need Valium, Susan,” I said. “I have you.” She was so calming.
She was informative, compassionate, empathetic and kind. Oh, and believe it or not, this surgical center belongs to the first doc I had left. I guess his surgical staff is different than the office gals. How’s that for irony?
A surgical tech came around. “I sense some anxiety here,” she said.
I confessed.
“It’s a short surgery,” she comforted.
“Oh it’s not the surgery I don’t like,” I said, turning to Susan. “It’s the drugs; it’s you!” I told Susan, who by now knew me well enough to take the humor. She smiled. So did I. I had told her about my terrible experience with Vicodin.
“I hate Vicodin too,” she confessed. We were buddies.
When the light for the surgery came on, Susan was holding my hand. She did this throughout the surgery.
Suddenly, I calmed in that light. It was a corridor of light, like a large open tunnel with no walls. I knew it was just a surgical light, but it felt so much more--like “the light” you expect passing from earth to heaven, one dimension to another. But, there was no fear.
I assure you I was not drugged. I was completely aware of my doctor and my surroundings, but I really didn’t want to concentrate on those. I wanted more of this transformational, heavenly light.
I heard my doc tell the nurse how much more he liked the new product that allowed him to lift out (I believe it was either the cataract or my lens) better than with the old product. “Hey Jude” sounded from the speakers and my doc sang a few bars. He was cheerful, confident. This was assuring. But, it was the light that brought me peace.
I stared straight into it, glued to it, spellbound. All anxiety had left me. I didn’t cough; I didn’t vomit; I didn’t need the potty. All those worries had been unnecessary.
I didn’t even want to speak or ask questions. I didn’t want this light to end.
I had asked Dr. E. if I had a seven or ten minute cataract. When it was over, he said, “Fifteen.”
The light went out. The patch was taped to my eye. I could rest a moment or so across the room. They didn’t give me the crackers, after I had asked if they were whole grain. I did get the orange juice. :)
It had been two hours, start to finish, of painless, positive energy. Prayers for me, Dr. E., the surgery must have been flowing.
I felt God smile.
Thank you Dr. E. and thank you to the surgical staff.
Maybe there is some hope for the health care of the new millennium--at least as long as there are still doctors like Dr. E. out there.

7 comments:

  1. I'm cool with it, too. Sounded almost like a religious experience, and, if I feel the need to get my eyeball done at some point---I'll look up Dr. E.
    One thing: "I heard my doc tell the nurse how much more he liked the new product that allowed him to lift out (I believe it was either the cataract or my lens) better than with the old product". There is no way he meant your whole eye, right?
    Just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, these days they don't just remove cataracts. They also take out your lens (not the whole eye, lol, and replace it with an acrylic lens. I seem to be in the lucky 20% that still needs a laser cleaning, because the new lens is hazy--like a glare through a window.

    Thanks so much for signing up to follow, Kim, and for leaving me comments. You are so dear.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marjorie you leave me a lot to look forward to. Mine aren't ready yet. I've been through the eye surgery though. When I was 6 years old, had both eyes operated on. Remember it to this day, 61 years later. I can even tell you what I dreamed while under the ether. Nasty stuff that ether, was throwing up for what seemed like days. Had my eyes patched for three days. Quite an experience for a 6 year old. Hope you are doing well. You'll probably see better then you ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allan
    Interesting. I too had eye surgery as a child (at 8 for me). I had crossed eyes and had the muscles at the inner side cut to loosen up the positioning. I had both eyes patched for a week also. This was at Temple University Hospital. One of the kids in the children's ward died while I was there that week. Also, for me quite a memorable experience. Didn't know we had this in common too. Funny it took 61 years to share. :) Thanks for the comment and for reading. Did you sign up as a follower? Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marjorie:
    Wonderful story and a glorious outcome. Thank goodness you went to Dr. E - the sort of surgeon we all hope for.

    Your concerns about the risks of cataract surgery were completely understandable as it would be for me. But reading your piece, I was struck with the good fortune we have visa vi our parents and those of earlier generations. The story of my father in law comes to mind, a story that my dear departed wife Corinne related to me many years ago:

    Wilbur retired early from his Illinois auto dealership; the family spent winters in Florida; Wilbur was an excellent golfer; avid reader. Florida was a perfect escape from the harsh Midwest winters and enabled him to whittle strokes off his game, read the latest novel and a stack of daily newspapers including the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Bloomington Pantagraph and local Florida publications.

    But the aging process was not good for Wilbur. By age 70, his cataract dimmed vision forced him to stop driving, golfing or reading. While his family was near, Wilbur began to suffer deep depression. Repeated visits to the opthamologist were not encouraging: "Sorry Wilbur, but they just aren't ripe enough to risk surgery. Come back in six months; perhaps by then, we can operate."

    Six months passed; another opthamologist visit. The surgeon repeated the same words as before. Distraught beyond tears, Wilbur returned home, slumped in his favorite chair and died in his library lined with hundreds of volumes he had consumed during happier times. The family concluded that his passing was a consequence of being unable to do the things he loved; in a way, cataracts had made his life not worth living.

    I don't look forward to cataract surgery, and actually may be able to avoid it. Neither of my parents were afflicted. That said, our generation is enormously blessed with the advanced technology that enables not only quick and accurate cataract removal, but the insertion of new eye lenses. Unlike Wilbur, many people in their 80's and more are now easily able to read the newspaper or a favorite novel, live a fuller life than those of earlier generations.

    So our fears of surgery, while understandable, must be taken into the context of the blessings we enjoy.

    Aaron Ashcraft
    Barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Marjorie -- Very nice. Believe it or not .. we enjoyed you as well. Loved your article .. you weren't kidding when you said you were gunna write about the experience that IS cataract surgery. I never knew about the light. Glad you shared it all! See you soon!

    Cheryl ;)

    ReplyDelete