Wednesday, February 3, 2010

LOFT LIFE: Getting back to normal





Saw Dr. G last week, and expected him to tell me about the 2cm and 3cm nodules, and had rehearsed my “so what” speech. I was thrown a curve when he told me I had a partially collapsed lung! I really was speechless--not breathless, mind you.
So, of course, I had more questions--but not many, because, as I said, I was taken by surprise. In general, this thing should self-correct.
It is a blessing to have friends, and especially smart friends like Matt, who is an EMT. I gave him the scoop about how the radiologist found “ground glass opacity” on my CAT scan. I asked him what in the world that meant. I should have asked Dr. G. but in some ways Matt was better--more detailed. He guessed from my description that I do not really have a true pnuemothorax--collapsed lung, but the deflation of some alveoli, which he explained are the grape-like clusters (alveoli) of air in the lungs. Some of my grapes lost their puff. No problem, most likely. As I begin more normal life--instead of the cushy bedridden Mac-world I have been living in for 2 months, I am likely to have them re-inflate. I just love Matt. He turned around my fear in a second. I can just see those little alveoli puffing as I walk around the loft, to the mail box, around the mall, etc.
Matt says that saying I have a partially collapsed lung is like telling me I have a hemorrhage when it is a nosebleed. Isn’t that just like the medical community to put it the most terrifying language they can find. Collapsed alveoli are NOT the same thing as a collapsed LUNG.
In any case, I am now arising at 6:30 a.m. and going pretty strong till 10 p.m., with just a bit of congestion left, which Matt says getting rid of will dramatically speed up recovery. Coughing is good.
So for all you sweet friend who keep telling me to rest--the rest happened, and now I have to go, go, go--till right BEFORE I am short of breath. That is something like the directions I was given which told me to turn a block before the movie theatre. Think about it.
So our loft life continues, and believe me, I am grateful that my most challenging task is cooking. I am also back to “work” which amounts to writing, interviewing, and, of course, starting up as many new businesses as I can dream up. The most current is networking consulting I've wanted to continue from my workshops in 1981, after I wrote an article for Toastmaster Magazine on networking. It got some acclaim; I was still being asked for reprinting rights FOUR YEARS later--from Taiwan. No kidding. So I was ahead of my time--and am now behind the 8-ball to do something concrete with my ideas. Met this morning with a business owner and we will meet with some in the MA/CT stateline area to help each other learn about this. 
Thanks again to you all for your encouragement, comments and love during my two months of recovery from--well, let’s just say,  respiratory challenges.

4 comments:

  1. Dr. G is incredibly tonto! How in heaven's name could he be so obtuse! Unless he has an outstanding reputation as a physician (e.g., Dr. House), I would not walk, I would RUN to find a new physician!
    Aaron Ashcraft

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the second visit, and after two phone calls, with input from his wonderful office manager, I think I tamed him a bit. He evolved from turnip to semi-human. I do believe he knows lungs, if not people, well, and that is somewhat more important than office-manner. But, I also appreciate friends like you who care about me receiving best of care. Thanks Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Marjorie. I just read every one of your blogs. I can't think of anyone whose candor I enjoy as much as yours. Mix that with just the right amount of humor and an innate ability to spin a good story and you have the perfect recipe for joyful reading.

    A moment ago, I asked God to heal and bless you mightily. You know, what was viewed on xray may not be a cyst either. I don't remember if you have allergies, but if so, you could have developed a calcium deposit in your lung from chronic inflammation. I know because I have them.

    You haven't mentioned the horrific weather the news keeps broadcasting for your area. I would think the layers of snow would be quite beautiful in a charming little town like yours. One of my dreams is to spend a wintery week at a country inn, somewhere in CT or NH. Great food and drink, a crackling fire in the fireplace, hot chocolate later on in the evening and warm ambiance all around - Yes, I could handle that! Of course, we would have to go on at least one sleigh ride, probably in the early evening, right after the sun has set and the snow begins to glisten. PEGGY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy
    And a double portion of bless to you also dear Peggy. I think we could figure out how to get you that wintery country inn experience. Let me know when you want to take a few days to enjoy that fire, hot chocolate and ambiance. :) XXOOM

    ReplyDelete